Friday, January 29, 2010

l'opera

So...I was probably being just a little emotional in my last post. I was in a really bad mood after class yesterday.

I should clarify -- it's not that I'm not willing to do the work, obviously I know that I have to. It's just that I haven't really had to concentrate on school work in so long, that the idea of having to truly use every ounce of concentration is completely exhausting. But it will be okay.

The Magic Flute last night was definitely a experience. I saw approximately half of the show -- when they say "reduced visibility", they are not exaggerating. The Grand Theatre is really amazing -- it's straight out of the movie Marie Antoinette. And I got a good view of it because from my seat I had a better view of the rest of the audience rather than the stage, but it's a really beautiful theater, so it wasn't at all the end of the world.

And even though I couldn't see what was going on on half the stage, I had a surprisingly good time. I recognized music that I haven't heard in forever, which felt successful, AND I understoodthe majority of the French subtitles, I think.

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to see opera or theater in a house like this. The picture on the site made it look like a modern production--was it?

    ReplyDelete